cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davis226
Engaged Sweeper II
Does 4.0 now support 2008 R2 to run the scanning service?? I ran the install and everything worked fine up until the installer tried to starting the service and failed. I was able to launch the services control panel and start the service manually. Everything seemed OK until I started receiving MMC errors "MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly" when trying to launch various consoles. So I rebooted the server and now I am receiving an error trying to login "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.".....then the server just hangs for a few minutes and reboots......

I am going to try and do an uninstall from safe mode to see if that helps.....
29 REPLIES 29
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The problem can be fixed by applying these patches:

Error message on a blue screen on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2: "STOP: 0x0000000A"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979444

A memory leak issue occurs in the Windows Management Instrumentation service on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977357/en-us

The "Win32_Service" WMI class leaks memory in Windows Server 2008 R2 and in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981314/en-us

After you enable large pages for a process in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2, the process stops responding intermittently
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975992
googoo
Engaged Sweeper III
Our server shows nothing in eventvwr regarding LS, other than the service starting. Sorry, when we uninstalled LS, the error log went with it...
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Anything in the lansweeper errorlog.txt or in the eventviewer about lansweeperservice.exe

We had a "possibly" similar problem : http://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst3021_Lansweeperserviceexe-stops-unexpectantly.aspx

Which was solved in the latest update (not in the current download)
googoo
Engaged Sweeper III
we also rebuilt our server (still virtual) and installed only windows defaults for IIS. again, we are using LS ver3.52, not the beta. I guess I should start a new thread out from the BETA, but since errors are so similar....

Our LS install "failed" with this error:

(from http://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst2838_Install-Error-Help.aspx)

---
Operation Failed with 0x8007000B
An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

This error occurs during:

Running Postinstall tasks...
Configuring IIS x64 to allow win32 apps...

Running latest Lansweeper d/l. Box is MS Server 2008 R2 x64 with IIS 7.
---

I uninstalled and then went back and added ASP.net, then reinstalled--no errors this time. Everything looked great for about 30 minutes, then server became unresponsive and rebooted on its own. RPC failures in event log, but was able to logon and uninstall lansweeper. I didn't check particular mmc consoles (such as 'services'), but i could run mmc.exe without issue.
davis226
Engaged Sweeper II
Ok....to test I used a physical server instead of VMWare this time. I installed 2008 R2, installed all current updates, and then installed the IIS web server role. I did not selected any specific options for IIS, I just let windows pick the default requirements.

I then installed the newest LS Beta (using ext sql, using IIS for wepage on port 80......The install appeared to work Ok, but the webpage would not launch afterwards. I tried to open the services.cpl but got the MMC error. Upon reboot, got the RPC errors.

I have not tried to configure WSUS at all the box.......
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
davis226 wrote:
Ok....to test I used a physical server instead of VMWare this time. I installed 2008 R2, installed all current updates, and then installed the IIS web server role. I did not selected any specific options for IIS, I just let windows pick the default requirements.

I then installed the newest LS Beta (using ext sql, using IIS for wepage on port 80......The install appeared to work Ok, but the webpage would not launch afterwards. I tried to open the services.cpl but got the MMC error. Upon reboot, got the RPC errors.

I have not tried to configure WSUS at all the box.......

Is there a way we could remote control the machine?
mail us at lansweeper@hemoco.com
googoo
Engaged Sweeper III
this was a newly built server and LS was the first application installed. I didn't notice any issues until after the LS installation. after installing LS but before installing anything else, there were several instances of unresponsiveness and MMC errors (same errors that davvis226 mentioned) that a reboot seemed to fix. it wasn't until after installing SEPM that the server stopped rebooting correctly.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
@googoo : do you mean that you had this problem on a server where Lansweeper was not installed?

If yes it could be a vmware esx related problem.
googoo
Engaged Sweeper III
Could this be an issue beyond LS 4.0? I'm using a similar environment, butworking with LS 3.52. I had no problems starting the service {once i correctly configured the service with right password :)}, but have experienced what sounds like the exact same issues as davis226:

"Everything seemed OK until I started receiving MMC errors "MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly" when trying to launch various consoles. So I rebooted the server and now I am receiving an error trying to login "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.".....then the server just hangs for a few minutes and reboots......"

My server failed to reboot correctly multiple times via Windows---I had to shut it down manually via the VI console. After installing Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, it finally got to the point where i could no longer log onto the server at all except in safe mode.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Tried reproducing now on a physical win2008R2 machine, but it keeps working.
Could you post screenshots of all the roles and options you selected.
Was WUS installed in your latest test?

Could you try setting the website to a lower port (81,82)