cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davis226
Engaged Sweeper II
Does 4.0 now support 2008 R2 to run the scanning service?? I ran the install and everything worked fine up until the installer tried to starting the service and failed. I was able to launch the services control panel and start the service manually. Everything seemed OK until I started receiving MMC errors "MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly" when trying to launch various consoles. So I rebooted the server and now I am receiving an error trying to login "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.".....then the server just hangs for a few minutes and reboots......

I am going to try and do an uninstall from safe mode to see if that helps.....
29 REPLIES 29
davis226
Engaged Sweeper II
Lansweeper.....can you confirm that adding those Application Server roles mentioned in my previous post in 2008 R2 breaks the OS when Lansweeper 4.0 is installed?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
davis226 wrote:
Lansweeper.....can you confirm that adding those Application Server roles mentioned in my previous post in 2008 R2 breaks the OS when Lansweeper 4.0 is installed?

So far we haven't been able to reproduce this (tested on an esx virtual server)
davis226
Engaged Sweeper II
Ok....so I created a new 2008 R2 virtual server (esx 4). I installed all windows updates/patches. I then installed IIS (with the options I need for WSUS 3.0 SP2). I then installed Lansweeper 4.0 using a remote SQL 2008 db and using IIS on port 8100.....install went fine, website came up, machines began registering with lansweeper.
Rebooted the server, everthing still worked. WSUS has not been installed yet.

Next I added the application server role on 2008......selecting .Net Framework 3.5.1, Web Server IIS Support, Com+ Network Access, and TCP Port Sharing. After installing those items, everything worked for about a minute and then I started to receive the MMC/RPC errors......

So.....I removed Lansweeper while in safe mode. Rebooted and removed the application server role items. Rebooted and reinstalled Lansweeper again and it works fine. I go back and add the application server role and just select .Net Framework 3.5.1 item and it crashes again.......

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

davis226
Engaged Sweeper II
Its-sysmgt thanks for the reply. Is your SQL 2008 db external to the Lansweeper Server, and are you using IIS or Lansweepers built in web server?
its-sysmgt
Engaged Sweeper
I am running the same set up. SQL 2008 Standard, 2008 R2 virtual on VMWare Vsphere 4.0, but I am not running WSUS. I have not had any problems. MMC has no problems.
davis226
Engaged Sweeper II
1. The server runs Microsoft's WSUS 3.0 SP2 as it's main app -- that's the only thing installed...(It does have McAfee's EPO Agent as well....but I am not running the AV client yet.)
2. Not 100% sure......but I do believe the error was occuring even with the service stopped.
3. I used IIS on a different port.....since WSUS was using the default website (port 80).
4. The second time I installed, I did not enable IP scanning and I still had the issues.

I am going to rebuild the server and try again. I will update you as soon as I'm finished.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Is there any other third party software installed on the server? (we had this problem before caused by a third party dll)
Do the errors also appear when the service is not running but installed?
Did you use IIS or the build in webserver?
Do you have the same error with IP scanning on/off?
davis226
Engaged Sweeper II
Well I did a reinstall......and this time it finished and started the service. Everything was running fine until I rebooted and logged back in.......it went back to the same errors I listed in my inital post. Anytime I open any mmc console (event viewer /server manager / etc.) I get this error:

"MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly"
"Name: Event Viewer"
"CLSID: FX:{bo5566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}" <-varies

After an RPC error, the server basically becomes unresponsive and I have to power it off. This is an ESX 4.0 Virtual Server running 2008 R2 and WSUS 3.0 is installed on the box as well. My inetpub directory is located on d: (not the system drive)

So I have uninstalled again.....which allows normal operation. Now that I can get back into event viewer, these messages have been logged about a minute after the Lansweeper service start:

App log:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc3c1
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000004f2f1
Faulting process id: 0x290
Faulting application start time: 0x01cab00ee7fbfd84
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 460711e8-1c02-11df-a975-005056924a00

Sys log:
The RPC Endpoint Mapper service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Reboot the machine.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
davis226 wrote:
Does 4.0 now support 2008 R2 to run the scanning service?? I ran the install and everything worked fine up until the installer tried to starting the service and failed. I was able to launch the services control panel and start the service manually. Everything seemed OK until I started receiving MMC errors "MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly" when trying to launch various consoles. So I rebooted the server and now I am receiving an error trying to login "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.".....then the server just hangs for a few minutes and reboots......

I am going to try and do an uninstall from safe mode to see if that helps.....

2008 R2 is supported.
Do you have any errorlog or eventviewer entries?
davis226
Engaged Sweeper II
Safe mode uninstall of Lansweeper 4.0 and a reboot allowed the server to resume normal operation.....